Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Gel/Shellac Nails

Hey guys!

I'm sure a ton of you have heard about gel or shellac manicures and I wanted to share some info with you about them!

I have recently started doing them in my salon and have answers for your most common questions!

Q: Is there a difference between gel and shellac?
A: No, gel and shellac manicures are the same, only difference is different companies call them one or the other.

Q: What is the difference between a gel manicure and a gel overlay?
A: A gel manicure is a gel polish. Both cure in a UV light, however a gel overlay is a buildable gel that is generally used with tips much like acrylics.

Q: How do I take my gel or shellac polish off?
A: Your best bet is to go back to your salon and have them soak the polish off. It takes 15-20 minutes for the polish to soak off in pure acetone. Please DO NOT peel or rip the polish off, this can cause damage to your nail! Yes, you can purchase pure acetone and soak them off yourself.

Q: Can I still get a french manicure with gel or shellac?
A: Absolutely!

Q: How long will they last?
A: There is no guarantee for how long they last as everyone is different, but typically around two weeks.

Q: Why does my gel polish peel off the same day I had them done?
A: Some people just cannot wear gel polish. If you have oily nails, chances are your gel polish could peel or pop off right away.

Q: How long do they take to dry?
A: As soon as your nails are done curing in the UV light, you are completely dry! No worrying about smudging or chipping your nails! :)

Here are some pictures of my first ever gel manicure :) The color I used is called "dulce de leche"


My friend has really short nails that she bites and cuticles that she picks, she works with animals so she constantly has her hands in water or is washing her hands. (I'm working on the biting and picking though! lol)

Hope this helps you guys out with any questions you may have about gel/shellac manicures :)

1 comment:

  1. Shellac was first introduced by a business called Creative Nail Design, Inc. (CND) in California. Shellac’s formula is a hybrid, which means it’s a combination of gel and nail polish. Shellac is a long-lasting nail polish that helps the nail color last longer. Visit website.

    ReplyDelete